An easy-to-prepare, nutritious snack made with apples, peanut butter, and honey sandwiched between graham crackers.
2 Red Delicious apples
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 whole graham crackers
1. Core apples and cut each in half; cut each half into 3 wedges to make a total of 12 wedges. Dip wedges in lemon juice to prevent browning and place in a single layer on microwave-safe plate or baking dish. Cover loosely with waxed paper and microwave on high (100 percent) 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until apples are tender and hold their shape. (If microwave does not have carousel, rotate dish halfway through cooking.) Drain apples on paper towels.
2. In small bowl, combine peanut butter, honey, and cinnamon. Snap graham crackers in half to make 12 square crackers. Spread a layer of peanut butter mixture on each of six square crackers; top each with 2 apple wedges. Top with remaining graham cracker squares to make sandwich snacks.
1 ¾ cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
1 cup grated Braeburn or Golden Delicious apple
1 container (8-ounce) low fat vanilla yogurt
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 350° F. Grease 24 3-inch muffin pan cups or line with paper liners. In large bowl, combine flour, 1 cup sugar, the baking powder, salt, orange zest, and nutmeg. With pastry blender or fork, cut in 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter until mixture is crumbly.
2. In medium bowl combine apple, yogurt, and eggs; add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until centers spring back when gently pressed.
3. Cool muffins in pan 5 minutes; remove from pan and cool until able to handle. Meanwhile, melt remaining 1/2 stick butter. In small bowl, combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon. To serve. brush tops of muffins with butter and roll top in cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Servings: Makes 2 quarts