3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup quick-cooking brown rice
3/4 cup bulgur
1 Granny Smith apple
1 Red Delicious apple
1 cup raisins
1 container (8-ounce) low fat vanilla yogurt
1. In large pot, heat water and salt to boiling over high heat. Add rice and bulgur; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, covered 2 minutes. Spread hot grains on baking sheet to cool (this will make them fluffier). Grains can be prepared the night before and kept refrigerated.
2. Just before serving, prepare fruit: Core and chop apples; peel orange and cut into sections. Add apples, orange, and raisins to grain mixture. Stir in yogurt to coat grains and fruit.
This is a recipe from Mexico
2 Red Delicious apples, cored and diced
2 Golden Delicious apples, cored and diced
2 Granny Smith apples, cored and diced
4 cups cooked turkey or chicken, cut into small cubes
2 cups finely chopped celery
1 cup of light mayonnaise
1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
1. In a bowl, combine the apples, turkey/chicken and celery.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise and cilantro.
Add the mayonnaise mixture to the apple mixture, stir to combine.
3. Refrigerate 4 hours. Serve cold.
Optional: add diced pineapple and chopped walnuts.
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 Granny Smith apples
4 cups shredded cabbage
2 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
2 green onions, chopped
1. In large bowl, whisk together honey, lime juice, lime zest, mustard, and salt to make dressing. Core 1 apple and cut into thin strips; add to dressing. Add cabbage, kiwifruit, and green onion; toss well.
2. To serve, core and slice remaining two apples; arrange on top of lettuce. Mound cabbage mixture in center.
8 cups torn mixed salad greens
2 medium Fuji apples, halved, cored and sliced 1/8-inch thick
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1 clove garlic, crushed
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1. In large bowl, combine salad greens and apple slices.
2. Vinaigrette; In small bowl, whisk together ingredients; set aside.
3. Add vinaigrette to salad; toss gently to coat.
4. Arrange salad on large platter; sprinkle with cheese and walnuts.
With its hot bacon dressing, this salad won’t wait for late-comers to the table; be sure to dress it just before serving.
6 cups torn romaine lettuce
4 cups torn green or red leaf lettuce
2 Red or Golden Delicious apples, cored and sliced
1/2 cup sliced celery
6 slices bacon
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 package (.6-ounce) Italian salad dressing mix
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup sliced green onion
Ground black pepper
1. In large serving bowl, combine romaine, leaf lettuce, apples, and celery; set aside.
2. In skillet, fry bacon until crisp; reserve drippings. Drain and crumble bacon into salad. In same skillet, combine reserved bacon drippings, the vinegar, water, salad dressing mix, and sugar; heat to boiling. Pour over salad. Top with green onion and black pepper; toss salad gently. Serve immediately.
The next time you heat up the grill, cook some extra chicken to keep on hand for a variety of quick main-dish chicken salads, such as this one, studded with fruit and nuts.
1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt
1/2 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 Red Delicious apple, cored and chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon toasted chopped hazelnuts
3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion or green onion
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
4 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken)
Soft lettuce leaves
1. In large bowl, combine yogurt and mayonnaise.
2. Add apple, celery, 1/4 cup hazelnuts, onion, salt, and pepper.
3. Stir in chicken. Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves, garnished with remaining tablespoon hazelnuts, or refrigerate until serving.
This is a recipe from Mexico
10 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples
Juice from 4 lemons
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked
salt & freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Core and cut 4 of the apples into small cubes. Pour 1/2 of the lemon juice over the apples to prevent browning.
2. Chop the chicken breasts into small cubes and season with salt, pepper and cinnamon.
3. In a bowl, mix the apple, chicken, mayonnaise and parsley.
4. With a sharp knife, cut and remove the top from the other 6 apples. Hollow out with a spoon, leaving a 1/2 inch thick shell. Brush the inside of the apples with lemon juice to prevent browning.
Fill the apples with the chicken salad. Refrigerate before serving.
A refreshing accompaniment to grilled chicken or roast pork.
2 Braeburn or Fuji apples, cut into bite-sized pieces
6 cups mixed salad greens
1/4 cup (1 oz.) chopped walnuts
2 or 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup walnut or olive oil
2 tablespoons apple juice
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In large salad bowl, combine apples, salad greens and walnuts.
2. In small jar with tight-fitting lid, combine dressing ingredients and shake well. Makes about 1/2 cup.
3. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; toss thoroughly.
Servings: 6 - 8
2 garlic cloves, halved
2/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. grapeseed or olive oil
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 cups torn romaine lettuce leaves
1 5-ounce bag spring mix mesclun salad
3 large apples, cored and diced (about 4 cups)
1 whole fennel bulb thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
1 1/2 cups halved seedless red grapes
1 lb. smoked turkey breast sliced into strips or cubed
1/3 cups toasted, chopped pecans
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese (optional)
1. To prepare vinaigrette, drop garlic through food chute with food processor on; process until minced. Add chicken broth and next 6 ingredients (through black pepper); process until well blended. Set aside.
2. To prepare salad, combine romaine and mesclun mix on a serving platter. In a large separate bowl, combine apples, fennel, and grapes. Pour about + of the vinaigrette over the apple mixture and toss gently to coat. Spoon the apple mixture over lettuce. Arrange the smoked turkey over the salad and sprinkle with the pecans and goat cheese if desired. Spoon the remaining vinaigrette over the salad. Serve immediately.
3. Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
4. Recipe courtesy of US Apple Association
4 cups water
8 cups shredded red or green cabbage
5 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 cup sliced onion
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In large pot, heat water to boiling; add cabbage and apples. Simmer 5 minutes or until cabbage is barely tender. Drain and transfer cabbage and apples to serving bowl.
2. In same pot, fry bacon 2 minutes. Add onion and cook until onion is tender and bacon crisps. Stir in vinegar, sugar, and fennel seed. Cook 2 minutes. Stir mixture into cabbage and apples; serve warm.