3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup each granulated and packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups (about 1/2 lb. or 1 large) pared, cored and finely
chopped Golden Delicious apples
1/2 cup nuts
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1. Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugars; beat in eggs one at a time, add vanilla.
3. Stir in buttermilk alternately with flour mixture.
4. Fold in apples, nuts and orange peel.
5. Pour into two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 5/8 – inch greased and floured loaf pans.
6. Bake at 350° F. 50 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
7. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
8. Wrap and let stand overnight to allow flavors to blend. Makes two loaves.