A cold blustery day is just the time to treat your family to Golden Apple Dumplings. Washington Golden Delicious apples filled with tangy chopped apricots are wrapped in a crisp tender pastry. When baked to a tempting golden brown, the dumplings are served warm with a sparkling apricot sauce.
1 cup dried apricots
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup sugar
6 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cored
Pastry for 2-crust 9-inch pie
Apricot Sauce (recipe follows)
1 cup water and reserved apricot syrup
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter
1. In small saucepan, combine apricots and water; simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Add sugar and simmer 10 to 15 minutes longer or until apricots are tender. Drain, reserving syrup for Apricot Sauce. Cool apricots.
2. Chop apricots and stuff into centers of apples. Roll pastry and cut to make six 7-inch squares, rerolling and using scraps if necessary.
3. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Stand one apple on each square, so filling is upright. Bring up corners of pastry to center of apple; moisten edges with water and carefully pinch and seal all seams. Roll back top corners slightly to expose filling. Prick pastry of apple dumplings several times with fork to vent steam.
4. Place dumplings in shallow baking dish. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden. Meanwhile, prepare Apricot Sauce. Serve warm with Apricot Sauce.
5. Apricot Sauce: Add water to reserved apricot syrup to measure 1 cup. In small saucepan, blend cornstarch and sugar; add syrup mixture. Cook over medium heat until thickened and clear. Stir in lemon juice and butter. Makes about 1 cup.