2 large Golden Delicious apples
1/2 cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup water
4 tablespoons butter
4 sheets filo dough (12 X 17 inch)
8 teaspoons finely ground unblanched almonds
1 pint vanilla ice cream
1. Peel and core apples; cut each into eighths. In large skillet, combine 1/2 cup sugar and water. Over low heat, stir mixture until sugar dissolves, then cook, without stirring, about 15 minutes until mixture is caramel colored.
2. Stir in apple slices and 1 tablespoon butter (caramelized sugar will harden slightly, then dissolve). Cook 12-15minutes or until apple is tender.
3. Meanwhile, prepare filo. Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Melt remaining butter. Brush one filo sheet with some butter; sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar and 2 teaspoons almonds over buttered filo. On top of this sheet, repeat layering, using 3 more sheets filo and the remaining butter, sugar and almonds.
4. Cut out eight 3-inch rounds from layered filo; place in ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
5. To serve, place one round of filo on each serving plate. Top each with 2 apple slices. Place another layer filo on top and then spoon on remaining apples. Garnish with vanilla ice cream and serve.